I don’t know about you, but I think if ever there was a time for a little extra kindness, this is IT! Kindness boosts our connection to one another, helps soothe our anxiety, and brings about a sense of psychological safety. Let’s mobilize kindness and make a big impact, together, one small act at a time!-Morgane Michael
This year, I’ve decided to do an open-ended Kindness Invitation, that can be adapted for use in the primary, middle-school, high-school, or even hybrid classes. Educators can choose a quick and easy approach, or opt for an in-depth kindness inquiry.
It’s going to be a 5-day event centred around #worldkindnessday, starting Friday, November 13th. Please follow me over on Instagram to join in the challenge and feel free to invite your friends!
How to Participate in the Challenge
- Follow me on Instagram! Morgane Michael @smallactbigimpact. If you don’t have social media, feel free to do your own challenges using the links in this blog post and share your activities with me via email.
- Invite your students to accept the invitation. They can use the Kindness Pledge and initiate as official Kindness Ninjas (from @joysofkinder) or they can simply join the challenge.
- Read the daily challenges to your students-comment, tag others to join, use the hashtag #smallactbigimpact and don’t forget to tag me in your comments/photos/examples (make sure your posts are public so I can see)!
- Participate in all 5 challenges (tagging me and linking the hashtag, too) and you’ll enter to win a prizes at the end of the challenge! I’ll choose a winner by the end of November.
- Spread the love and kindness to your school, workplace and community!
The 5 Day Challenge (a sneaky-peek for you planners out there;)
Allie Apels and the Kindness Ninjas
I recently had the amazing Allie Apels of @joysofkinder on my podcast to discuss the transformative power of her brainchild “Kindness Ninjas” Social Emotional Learning (SEL) program in her kindergarten class (#kindnessninjas).
Essentially, a few years ago, when Allie was faced with one of the most challenging groups of children she had ever taught, she and her teaching partner (yes, there were two teachers allocated to one class due to the high level of needs), came up with a brilliant way to encourage the development of a kind and supportive classroom. They introduced a kindness ambassador: the kindness ninja. Every day, leading up to Christmas break, Allie and her class would be greeted by the kindness ninja who would leave them notes and various random acts of kindness missions.
She explained that the experience was completely transformative. The class came together as a team and that year wound up becoming one of Allie’s favourite years as a teacher.
Kindness Ninjas Inquiry Workbook and Teacher Guide
The amazing Rebecca Bathurst-Hunt (author of Inquiry Mindset) and Allie Apels teamed together in the spring of 2020 to bring to life an amazing Kindness Ninjas Inquiry Handbook. The link to the booklet and teacher guide can be found here. This is a terrific accompaniment to this 5-Day World Kindness Day giveaway!
Here’s a look back to our 15-Day Kindness Challenge last fall, 2019. There are a ton a wonderful ideas there that you could incorporate into this 5-day invitation.
For extra links to some of the pre-recorded Kindness Ninjas videos for inspiration, HERE’s A DIRECT LINK TO THE YOUTUBE VIDEOS-in FRENCH & ENGLISH
21-Day Kindness: The Physically-Distanced Edition
When Covid-19 first caused many of us around the world to go into lockdown and to run our classrooms from our couches, it occurred to me that the 21-Day Kindness Challenge would need a little Covid-friendly revamp. So…I created 21-Days of Kindness, choice-board-style.
There is an awesome list of challenges for kindness to others, kindness to the world, and kindness to self. Take a look, some of the ideas could work well for the 5-day invitation.