If you’re wanting to make some solid changes within your life, chances are that you’re going to have to take a different approach than the one you’ve taken before. Goal-setting guru Cameron Harold has explained the painted picture exercise which takes you through a personalized visualization of the future you wish to be leading. The remarkable thing is that it actually works! You can manifest more money, more fulfilling career and changes to your current trajectory. All you have to do is imagine that they can happen.
Start this way:
1. Lean into your future by 3 years by visualizing it in painstaking detail:
- What are you doing, feeling, what is it you’re doing to derive money, and what does your day to day schedule look like.
- Visualize (adjust after a while if you need to)
- If you don’t set your direction you’re just living by default
2. Don’t just think of one option for your future, try on a few for size:
It’s like trying on a new outfit: do it about three options
- A: idea
- B: idea
- C: idea
3. Zoom out again with an evaluative lens:
- If your future visualization sucks, don’t do it!
- If it’s good, it can become your North Star
4. We are born creative- the unique ability to fire up our imagination in such a way to live into our future.
5. Ask yourself:
- Who are you meant to be?
- What do you wish your legacy to be?
- Are your interactions positive?
- How do you want those who interact with you to feel?
6. Keep checking back about your mental image about the future.